Share |

Niger to expend N50 million on culvert

Niger to expend N50 million on culvert

The Niger State Emergency Management Agency is to spend N50 million on the construction of culverts and drains in the flood affected area, the Special Adviser to the Governor on NSEMA, Mohammed Shaba has said.

Shaba said during the distribution of flood materials to victims of last year's flood in Kura Village of Magama Local Government Area of the state on Sunday, that the culverts and drains would also ease transportation among the communities.

He said "Lack of good culverts and drains are partly responsible for the flash flood in the urban communities, with attendant high death toll, such flash flood claiming two youngsters in Minna last year".

"A special committee under the leadership of the state deputy governor, Alhaji Ahmed Ibeto would soon commence the desilting and clearance of all the drains in Minna, before such example is extended to other parts of the state.

Shaba said the agency would continue to enlighten the public on the need to avoid blocking their drains with refuse waste in a bid to avoid flooding of their premises, "rather they should embark on the clearing of the drains in their areas before the onset of the rains."

He urged the general public to desist from building their houses or business premises on the flood plains, as such act would only endanger their properties but it could result in fatal incidents during flooding of their property.

He then urged the communities that had benefited from the relief materials to put into better use and that the token was not meant to compensate but rather it is a succour to them at the times of their need.